Re: On-the-fly index tuple deletion vs. hot_standby

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On-the-fly index tuple deletion vs. hot_standby
Date: 2011-06-16 14:47:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:02:47AM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:

> >> Not least because a feature already exists in 9.1 to cope with this
> >> problem: hot standby feedback.
> >
> > A standby's receipt of an XLOG_BTREE_REUSE_PAGE record implies that the
> > accompanying latestRemovedXid preceded or equaled the master's RecentXmin at the
> > time of issue (see _bt_page_recyclable()). ?Neither hot_standby_feedback nor
> > vacuum_defer_cleanup_age affect RecentXmin. ?Therefore, neither facility delays
> > conflicts arising directly from B-tree page reuse. ?See attached test script,
> > which yields a snapshot conflict despite active hot_standby_feedback.
>
> OK, agreed. Bug. Good catch, Noah.
>
> Fix is to use RecentGlobalXmin for the cutoff when in Hot Standby
> mode, so that it is under user control.
>
> Attached patch will be applied to head and backpatched to 9.1 and 9.0
> to fix this.

Thanks. We still hit a conflict when btpo.xact == RecentGlobalXmin and the
standby has a transaction older than any master transaction. This happens
because the tests at nbtpage.c:704 and procarray.c:1843 both pass when the xid
exactly is that of the oldest standby transaction (line numbers as of git
cb94db91b). I only know this because the test script from my last message hits
this case; it might never get hit in real usage. Still, seems like a hole not
worth leaving. I think the most-correct fix is to TransactionIdRetreat the
btpo.xact before using it as xl_btree_reuse_page.lastestRemovedXid. btpo.xact
is the first known-safe xid, but latestRemovedXid is the last known-unsafe xmin.

nm