Re: Add support for logging the current role

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add support for logging the current role
Date: 2011-02-14 14:30:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Itagaki,

* Itagaki Takahiro (itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> We need to design csvlog_header more carefully. csvlog_header won't work
> if log_filename is low-resolution, ex. log-per-day.

This isn't any different a problem to the issue of someone changing the
csvlog_fields GUC but not checking if the log file already exists on
restart. I've suggested a number of different options, but none of them
are terribly good, and I havn't heard anyone supporting any solution to
this issue.

> It's still useful when
> a DBA reads the file manually, but documentation would better.

Eh? If you mean that we should add documentation to make users aware of
the possible issue of changing these values without making sure the log
file gets rotated- sure, I'd be happy to do that.

> Or, should we skip writing headers when the open log file is not
> empty?

This doesn't help the csvlog_fields issue, unfortunately. I don't think
it'd be hard to implement this to help with the header issue, I'm just
not sure if it makes sense to do so when the actual list of fields could
change...

> * It might be my misunderstanding, but there was a short description for %U
> for in log_line_prefix in postgresql.conf, right? Did you remove it in the
> latest version?

No, and I don't see where I ever added it.. I've fixed it.

> * In assign_csvlog_fields(), we need to cleanup memory and memory context
> before return on error.
> + /* check if no option matched, and if so, return error */
> + if (curr_option == MAX_CSVLOG_OPTS)
> + return NULL;

Fixed this and a couple of similar issues.

> * An added needless "return" should be removed.

Meh, I like explicit returns, but since it generated a hunk all by
itself, I'll clear it out.

Updated patch attached, git log below.

Thanks,

Stephen

commit 304e35ebb74f68da69163ed9dd1dd453b67181e7
Author: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Date: Mon Feb 14 09:26:03 2011 -0500

csvlog_fields: fix leak, other cleanup

Fix a couple of potential memory leaks in assign_csvlog_fields().
Also added a few comments, removed an extra 'return;', and added
%U to the sample postgresql.conf.

commit 592c256ffff4ffde77fc29ff28fdedd2c9f2dafd
Merge: 33639eb cebbaa1