REVIEW: "writable CTEs" - doc patch

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Subject: REVIEW: "writable CTEs" - doc patch
Date: 2011-01-20 02:13:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Peter Geoghegan (peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> I do this all the time. Anyway, I intend for this doc patch to be
> backported to 8.4 as a bugfix, which is part of the reason why it
> isn't invasive - it's just a clarification. Clearly if it makes sense
> for 9.1, it makes just as much sense for 9.0 and 8.4.

I agree with the patch, in general, as well as the recommendation to
back-port it. I reviewed it and didn't find any issues (though I
couldn't figure out the right magic things to install to actually build
the docs.. :( ). The only minor change I made was to capitalize Common
Table Expressions (having it as an acronym w/o capitalizing the full
name seemed odd to me..).

Updated patch attached. Marking as ready for committer.

commit 91e9e9285752c9fbe0c222708a10a301731594c8
Author: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Date: Wed Jan 19 20:56:44 2011 -0500

Update WITH documentation to capitalize acronym

Common Table Expressions, being a 'proper' name and having an
acronym associated with them, really should be capitalized. This
patch makes that change in the WITH documentation.

commit 9e4565cc97b81fd6b3f96d8e346bcb7ee6e8878e
Author: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Date: Wed Jan 19 20:54:47 2011 -0500

Add CTE as an acryonym and clarify WITH docs

This patch adds CTE to the list of acronyms and then updates the
WITH documentation to note that WITH queries are also known as
CTEs.

Patch by Peter Geoghegan

Thanks,

Stephen