SQL/MED foreign table

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL/MED foreign table
Date: 2010-06-15 07:21:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This is a proposal of SQL/MED foreign table for 9.1.
I described the details in the wiki page:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SQL/MED

I'd like to discuss especially about the inteface of FDW routines.
Since it will be a shared by all of FDW extenstions in the future,
it must be as important as index access method interface.

Codes are available at: http://repo.or.cz/w/pgsql-fdw.git
* master branch is a copy of postgres' HEAD.
* fdw branch contains FDW codes.
and the attached files are split patches of WIP codes.

Features in it are:
- SQL syntax for CREATE/ALTER FOREIGN TABLE.
- Definition of FDW routine interface and system catalogs for it.
- Core-integrated "file_fdw", that can be used to read external CSV
and plain text files. Codes to read files are shared with COPY FROM.
- Dblink-integrated "postgresql_fdw". Some of simple WHERE-clauses
can be "pushed down" into the external server.

The last item was discussed separately as a cluster feature:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ClusterFeatures#Function_scan_push-down
Foreign table will be a solution for the issue.

Comments welcome.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
fdw_2010615.tar.gz application/octet-stream 92.1 KB