Re: New VACUUM FULL

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New VACUUM FULL
Date: 2009-11-13 01:47:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> BTW I think the vacstmt.options change, which seems a reasonable idea to
> me, could be extracted from the patch and applied separately. That'd
> reduce the size of the patch somewhat.

It's a good idea. I separated the part into the attached patch.
It replaces VacuumStmt's "vacuum", "full", "analyze", and "verbose"
fields into one "options" flag field.

The only user-visible change is to support "VACUUM (options)" syntax:
VACUUM ( FULL, FREEZE, VERBOSE, ANALYZE ) table (columns)
We don't bother with the order of options in this form :)

There is a debatable issue that we can use "VACUUM (VERBOSE) table (col)"
in the abobe syntax. Columns are specified but no ANALYZE option there.
An ANALYZE option is added automatically in the current implementation,
but we should have thrown an syntax error in such case.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
vacuum-options_20091113.patch application/octet-stream 23.6 KB