Triggers on columns

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Triggers on columns
Date: 2009-09-03 01:52:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here is a patch to implement "Support triggers on columns" in our ToDo list.

The syntax is:
CREATE TRIGGER name
BEFORE UPDATE OF col1, col12, ...
ON tbl FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE func();

I consulted the previous work following:
Column-level triggers (From: Greg Sabino Mullane, Date: 2005-07-04)
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-07/msg00107.php
and completed some under-construction parts.

It's still arguable that we should add dependencies from column
triggers to referenced columns. In the present patch, dropeed
columns are just ignored and always considered as not-modified.
Please grep with "TODO: (TRIGGER)" to check the issue.

Comments welcome.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
column-trigger-20090903.patch application/octet-stream 35.4 KB