Re: pg_hba.conf: samehost and samenet

From: Stef Walter <stef-list(at)memberwebs(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf: samehost and samenet
Date: 2009-08-19 01:58:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached is a new patch, which I hope addresses all the concerns raised.

Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> I've attached an initial patch which implements "samehost" and
>> "samenet". The patch looks more invasive than it really is, due to
>> necessary indentation change (ie: a if block), and moving some code into
>> a separate function.
>
> A couple of comments on the patch:
>
> * In general, don't include configure in the patch. Just configure.in.
> Makes it easier to read, and configure is normally built by the
> committer anyway.

Removed configure and pg_config.h.in from the patch.

> * How portable is this? For starters is clearly doesn't do Windows,
> which would need to be investigated for similar functionality, but how
> many others support getifaddr()? From what I can tell it's not in
> POSIX, at least.

getifaddr() is at least supported on *BSD, Linux and AIX.

In the new patch, I've added support for other unixes like Solaris,
HPUX, IRIC, SCO Unix (using the SIOCGIFCONF ioctl). Also included is
Win32 support (using winsock's SIO_GET_INTERFACE_LIST).

Obviously I don't have all of the above proprietary unixes to test on,
but I've studied documentation, and I believe that the code in the patch
will run on those systems.

> * It needs to include documentation changes

Done.

> Please add it to the open commitfest
> (https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open). This
> will cause it to be reviewed during the next commitfest, and then you
> just need to be around to answer any questions that reviewers come up
> with :-)

I need some sort of a login to add a patch to the commit fest. Is that
something I can get? Or is there someone I should ask to add my patch to
the commit fest? I hope I'm not being dense and missing something
obvious. :)

Cheers,

Stef