Re: dependencies for generated header files

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: dependencies for generated header files
Date: 2009-07-29 12:43:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sunday 28 June 2009 21:21:35 Robert Haas wrote:
> I think that our dependencies for generated header files (gram.h,
> fmgroids.h, probes.h) are not as good as they could be. What we do
> right now is make src/backend/Makefile rebuild these before recursing
> through its subdirectories. This works OK for a top-level make, but
> if you run make further down in the tree (like under
> src/backend/commands) it won't necessarily rebuild everything that it
> should.
>
> The attached patch moves some of this logic from src/backend/Makefile
> to src/Makefile.global.in.

Have you tried putting them in src/backend/common.mk? That might be a better
place.

Also, modulo that change, do you think it would be OK to apply this patch now
while the other patch about header generation is under discussion? Or would
that create a complete merge disaster if we ended up going with some variant
of the header generation patch?