Re: improvements for dict_xsyn extended synonym dictionary - RRR

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Sergey V(dot) Karpov" <karpov(at)sao(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: improvements for dict_xsyn extended synonym dictionary - RRR
Date: 2009-07-26 02:01:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Sergey,

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 21:35:28 Sergey V. Karpov wrote:
> attached is a simple patch that extends the functionality of dict_xsyn
> extended synonym dictionary (from contrib) by adding the following
> configuration option:
>
> - "mode" option controls the current dictionary mode of operation. Can be
> one of:
>
> - in "simple" mode it accepts the original word and returns all synonyms
> as ORed lis.
>
> - when mode is "symmetric", the dictionary accepts the original word or
> any of its synonyms, and return all others as ORed list.
>
> - in "map" regime it accepts any synonym and returns the original word
> instead of it. Also, it accepts and returns the original word
> itself, even if keeporig is false.
Some points:
- Patch looks generally sound
- lacks a bit of a motivational statement, even though one can imagine uses
- Imho mode=MAP should error out if keeporig is false
- I personally find the the names for the different modes a bit nondescriptive.
One possibility would be to introduce parameters like:
- matchorig
- matchsynonym
- keeporig
- keepsynonym
That sounds way much easier to grasp for me.

Comments?

Andres