Re: WIP patch for TODO Item: Add prompt escape to display the client and server versions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>
Subject: Re: WIP patch for TODO Item: Add prompt escape to display the client and server versions
Date: 2009-07-16 20:40:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 07 May 2009 05:23:41 Dickson S. Guedes wrote:
> This is a WIP patch (for the TODO item in the subject) that I'm putting
> in the Commit Fest queue for 8.5.

The problem I'm seeing with this is that currently it resolves

%v (client) = 8.5devel
%V (server) = 8.5.0

Besides being inconsistent, it's also pretty misleading. I'd imagine a
significant use of this feature would be to know that one is connected to,
say, a beta version.

More generally, does anyone actually need this feature? psql complains loudly
enough if the version numbers are not the right ones. I don't know why this
would need to be repeated in the prompt.