Clean shutdown and warm standby

From: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Clean shutdown and warm standby
Date: 2009-04-08 19:11:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Following the discussion here
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/49D9E986.8010604@pse-consulting.de
, I wrote a small patch which rotates the last XLog file on shutdown
so that the archive command is also executed for this file and we are
sure we have all the useful XLog files when we perform a clean
shutdown of master + switch to the failover server. This rotation is
done only if the archive mode is active and an archive command is set.

It's currently really difficult to switch easily (ie without copying
the file manually) to the failover server without any data loss.

Is there any problem I've missed? Could we consider the inclusion of
such a patch or something similar?

Comments?

Guillaume

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql-archiving-last-xlog-file.diff text/x-diff 960 bytes