Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Khandekar <amit(dot)khandekar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL
Date: 2013-11-17 22:10:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> [ rebased patch for RAISE WHEN ]

I have to say I do not see the point of this. It does nothing you
can't do already with "IF condition THEN RAISE ...". And frankly
the RAISE statement has got too darn many options already. We don't
need yet more cruft on it that we'll have to maintain forevermore.

If this were improving standards compliance somehow, I'd be okay
with it; but what other implementation has got this?