Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kurt Harriman <harriman(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions
Date: 2010-02-10 15:12:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kurt Harriman <harriman(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
> On 1/19/2010 8:01 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> One principle that I suppose should have been made more explicit is that
>> -- in my mind -- we should avoid littering our code with nonstandard
>> constructs in place of standard constructs.

> Everyone seems to hate the name PG_INLINE, so I've changed it to
> inline_quietly, which is more descriptive.

Kurt, you seem to be more or less impervious to advice :-(.

Please just make the thing be "inline" and have configure define
USE_INLINE, as per previous discussion. Cluttering the code with
nonstandard constructs is not good for readability. More, it is likely
to confuse syntax-aware editors and pgindent, neither of which will read
any of the discussion or commit messages.