Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)
Date: 2010-12-14 17:01:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I've attached an updated patch that fixes a failure when compiling on
> gcc/linux. The no-op inline installCrashDumpHandler() for unsupported
> platforms was not declared static, so it was not being optimized out of
> objects it wasn't used in and was causing symbol collisions during linkage.

Why in the world would you get involved in that portability mess for a
function that is called only once? There's no possible performance
justification for making it inline.

I'm also wondering why you have got conflicting declarations in
postgres.h and port.h, and why none of these declarations follow
ANSI C (write "(void)" not "()").