Re: Eliminating PD_ALL_VISIBLE, take 2

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Eliminating PD_ALL_VISIBLE, take 2
Date: 2013-06-10 05:17:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 10:07 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > Come to think of it, even without the torn page & checksum issue, do we
> > really want to actively clear the all-visible flags after upgrade?

Removed that from the patch and rebased. I think the best approach is to
remove the bit opportunistically when we're already dirtying the page
for something else.

However, right now, there is enough skepticism of the general approach
in this patch (and enough related proposals) that I'll leave this to be
resolved if and when there is more agreement that my approach is a good
one.

Also, it could use another round of performance testing before it's
actually commitable.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
rm-pd-all-visible-20130609.patch text/x-patch 69.1 KB