Re: psql tab completion for SELECT

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
Subject: Re: psql tab completion for SELECT
Date: 2012-02-10 15:20:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> That seems pretty nearly entirely bogus. What is the argument for
>> supposing that the word right after SELECT is a function name?

> It isn't necessarily, but it might be. It'd certainly be nice to type:
> SELECT pg_si<TAB>
> and get:
> SELECT pg_size_pretty(

Yeah, and then you'll type

SELECT pg_size_pretty(pg_dat<TAB>

and get nothing, and curse the authors of such a misbegotten incomplete
concept that leads your fingers to rely on something that doesn't work
where it should.

I'm not against tab-completing functions, if people think that's
useful. I am against tab-completing them in 1% of use-cases, which is
what this patch accomplishes. The fact that it's short doesn't make it
good.