Re: [v9.3] Extra Daemons (Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David E(dot) Wheeler <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [v9.3] Extra Daemons (Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database)
Date: 2012-09-26 21:55:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of mié sep 26 13:04:34 -0300 2012:
> Excerpts from Kohei KaiGai's message of mié abr 25 06:40:23 -0300 2012:
>
> > I tried to implement a patch according to the idea. It allows extensions
> > to register an entry point of the self-managed daemon processes,
> > then postmaster start and stop them according to the normal manner.
>
> Here's my attempt at this. This is loosely based on your code, as well
> as parts of what Simon sent me privately.

Actually please consider this version instead, in which the support to
connect to a database and run transactions actually works. I have also
added a new sample module (worker_spi) which talks to the server using
the SPI interface.

bgworker-4.patch application/octet-stream 49.7 KB