Re: initdb and fsync

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: initdb and fsync
Date: 2012-06-18 18:39:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 18:05 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> Quick review:
> - defaulting to initdb -N in the regression suite is not a good imo, because
> that way the buildfarm won't catch problems in that area...

I removed the -N as you suggest. How much does performance matter on the
buildfarm?

> - could the copydir.c and initdb.c versions of walkdir/sync_fname et al be
> unified?

There's a lot of backend-specific code in the copydir versions, like
using ereport() and CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS(). I gave a brief attempt at
unifying them before, and concluded that it wouldn't add to the
readability, so I just commented where they came from.

If you feel there will be a maintainability problem, I can give it
another shot.

> - I personally would find it way nicer to put USE_PRE_SYNC into pre_sync_fname
> instead of cluttering the main function with it

Done.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
initdb-fsync-20120618.patch.gz application/x-gzip 4.4 KB