Re: foreign key locks, 2nd attempt

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: foreign key locks, 2nd attempt
Date: 2012-03-17 22:45:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Simon Riggs's message of jue mar 15 18:46:44 -0300 2012:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>
> > As things stand today
>
> Can I confirm where we are now? Is there another version of the patch
> coming out soon?

Here is v11. This version is mainly updated to add pg_upgrade support,
as discussed. It also contains the README file that was posted earlier
(plus wording fixes per Bruce), a couple of bug fixes, and some comment
updates.

There's also a SRF for inspecting multixact members, pg_get_multixact_members,
but I'm not sure how useful it is for the general user so maybe I'll rip
it out of the patch before committing.

I mentioned elsewhere in the thread that ResetMultiHintBit was bogus: we
don't know, while running the various HeapTupleSatisfies routines, what
kind of lock we hold; so we can't do anything to the tuple beyond
setting HEAP_XMAX_INVALID. There's probably a good place in page
pruning that could be used to transform multis containing committed
updates into plain no-multi Xmax.

The whole thing can be seen in github here:
https://github.com/alvherre/postgres/tree/fklocks

(While creating this patch I noticed that I had created v10 of the patch
on March 6th but apparently never sent it.)

fklocks-11.patch.gz application/x-gzip 86.7 KB