Re: initdb and fsync

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb and fsync
Date: 2012-02-04 23:41:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yeah. Personally I would be sad if initdb got noticeably slower, and
> I've never seen or heard of a failure that this would fix.

I worked up a patch, and it looks like it does about 6 file fsync's and
a 7th for the PGDATA directory. That degrades the time from about 1.1s
to 1.4s on my workstation.

pg_test_fsync says this about my workstation (one 8kB write):
open_datasync 117.495 ops/sec
fdatasync 117.949 ops/sec
fsync 25.530 ops/sec
fsync_writethrough n/a
open_sync 24.666 ops/sec

25 ops/sec means about 40ms per fsync, times 7 is about 280ms, so that
seems like about the right degradation for fsync. I tried with fdatasync
as well to see if it improved things, and I wasn't able to realize any
difference (not sure exactly why).

So, is it worth it? Should we make it an option that can be specified?

> I wonder whether it wouldn't be sufficient to call sync(2) at the end,
> anyway, rather than cluttering the entire initdb codebase with fsync
> calls.

It looks like there are only a few places, so I don't think clutter is
really the problem with the simple patch at this point (unless there is
a portability problem with just calling fsync).

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
initdb-fsync.patch.gz application/x-gzip 757 bytes