Re: Prefered Types

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Зотов Роман <zotov(at)oe-it(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prefered Types
Date: 2011-05-03 18:55:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar may 03 15:41:27 -0300 2011:
> > Excerpts from Зотов Роман's message of lun abr 11 17:39:32 -0300 2011:
> > I had a brief look at this patch, updating it to current HEAD past some
> > pgindent conflicts. It seems sane, but as Zotov says, it doesn't do
> > anything yet: it only changes typispreferred from bool to int. I'm
> > attaching it for the benefit of those interested.
>
> > The interesting discussion is what happens next. To me, this is all
> > related to this previous discussion:
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-09/msg00232.php
>
> Yeah, there doesn't seem like much point unless we have a clear idea
> what we're going to do with the change. In particular, I'm quite
> unimpressed with the (undocumented) changes in func_select_candidate;
> there's no justification given for making it work like this, and frankly
> I see no reason to assume that this behavior will be useful.

That strikes me as pretty random, yeah. Whatever we come up with should
consider the boolean issue of one type having a greater preference than
some other type, not the integer difference of preference values.
(Keeping the original boolean names in local variables there was clearly
a mistake; sorry about that.)

I don't have a clear idea about this at the moment though.