Re: WIP: RangeTypes

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: RangeTypes
Date: 2011-01-30 22:52:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Another updated patch.

Improvements:

* Full GiST support
- Thanks to Alexander Korotkov for sending me a new picksplit
algorithm for my "temporal" project on pgfoundry. I modified it for use
with range types, including a (hopefully) intelligent way of handling
empty and unbounded ranges.

* Quite a few tests added, some cleanup done

Open items:

* naming issues:
- period -> tsrange ?
- periodtz -> tstzrange ?
- intrange -> int4range
* add int8range
* Documentation improvements
- CREATE TYPE
- ANYRANGE
- Data Types section
* Thom Brown and Tom Lane pointed out that the type inferencing
should be able to promote int4 to numeric for queries like:
select '[18,20]'::numrange @> 19;
* Should the SQL function length(), which relies on polymorphic "-",
be marked immutable, stable, or volatile?
* representation or alignment issues
* parser should be improved to handle spaces and quoting better
* Should btree_gist be pulled into core to make it easier to use
exclusion constraints with range types?
* Typmod (optional)

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
rangetypes-20110130.patch.gz application/x-gzip 37.8 KB