Re: New VACUUM FULL still needed?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New VACUUM FULL still needed?
Date: 2009-12-29 10:42:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 11:17 +0900, Takahiro Itagaki wrote:
> Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > I have enough items emerging from HS to keep me busy much longer than I
> > thought. I'll run with VF if that's OK, since I have some other related
> > changes in that area and it makes sense to understand that code also, if
> > OK with you.
>
> Sure. Many users want to see HS.
>
> BTW, New VACUUM FULL patch is waiting for being applied.
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=202
> But I heard HS is attempting to modify VFI in another way or remove it
> completely. Do we still need the patch, or reject it and fix VFI in HS?

HS has two options: (1) move forwards alongside this patch, or (2) make
a separate fix for VFI in HS.

We still want to apply this patch, but I feel it needs changes as
discussed downthread as part of my review. Will it be possible for you
to make those changes and resubmit for next commitfest, or earlier?

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com