Re: New VACUUM FULL

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New VACUUM FULL
Date: 2009-11-27 23:12:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Review comments:

* I attached some documentation suggestions.
* The patch should be merged with CVS HEAD. The changes required are
minor; but notice that there is a minor style difference in the assert
in vacuum().
* vacuumdb should reject -i without -f
* The replace or inplace option is a "magical" default, because "VACUUM
FULL" defaults to "replace" for user tables and "inplace" for system
tables. I tried to make that more clear in my documentation suggestions.
* "VACUUM (FULL REPLACE) pg_class" should be rejected, not silently
turned into "VACUUM (FULL INPLACE) pg_class".
* There are some windows line endings in the patch, which should be
removed.
* In vacuumdb, the code for handling INPLACE is a little ugly. Perhaps
it should be changed to always use your new options syntax? That might
be more code, but it would be a little more readable.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
vacfull-doc-suggestions-20091127.context.patch text/x-patch 3.3 KB