Re: Re: patch: fix performance problems with repated decomprimation of varlena values in plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: patch: fix performance problems with repated decomprimation of varlena values in plpgsql
Date: 2011-01-18 19:42:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 06:49:27PM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> I am sending a updated version with little bit more comments. But I am
>> sure, so somebody with good English have to edit my comments.
>> Minimally I hope, so your questions will be answered.

> Thanks. I edited the comments and white space somewhat, as attached. I'll go
> ahead and mark it Ready for Committer.

I looked at this patch and found it fairly awkward. What is the point
of adding an additional flag to every variable, as opposed to just
forcibly detoasting during assignment? If it's to avoid detoasting when
the variable is read in a way that doesn't require detoasting, it fails
rather completely IMO, since exec_eval_datum certainly doesn't know
that.

The added memory context variable seems redundant as well.