Consistent \d commands in psql

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Consistent \d commands in psql
Date: 2007-11-05 01:11:53
Lists: pgsql-patches

Attached is an updated version of my psql patch that makes the \d
backslash commands perform in an intuitive, consistent way.
Specifically, the following objects will be treated as first class
citizens (as tables and indexes currently are) by showing all the
non-system objects by default and requiring a "S" to see the system
ones.

aggregates
conversions
comments
domains
operators
functions
types

Currently, there is no way to view all the non-system functions in a
database using backslash commands, as you can with \dt, unless all of
the functions happen to be in a single schema ("\df myschema."). With
this patch, it would be as simple as "\df", and the current behavior
would be done with "\dfS".

This patch also adds a few new things to the tab-completion table, such
as comments and conversions.

Comments welcome. Last time the patch withered on the vine, despite
strong support from -general, hence I'm going to try again, as I really
want a way to view my functions without querying the pg_proc tables
directly. :)

PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200711042003

backslash-consistency.patch text/x-patch 55.3 KB