Re: getting to beta

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting to beta
Date: 2011-04-06 13:42:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ... Most urgently, I believe we need a bit more committer bandwidth. I
> believe that I could tackle either the SSI patches or the pg_upgrade &
> typed tables issue, or I could try to make a dent in the collation
> stuff, but I don't think I can cover two of those areas and I
> definitely can't cover all three.

I intend to return to the collations issues as soon as I've knocked off
the GUC assign-hooks patch. That's taking longer than I thought (there
are a *lot* of assign hooks) but I think I'll be able to finish it today
or tomorrow. I have yet to read any of the SSI code, so I can't offer
much help in that area.

> The other minor issues are:

> - do latches have memory ordering problems? I think the consensus is
> that they work OK the way we're using them right now, so maybe we can
> just drop this item, unless someone wants to pontificate further on
> it.

I think this can be left as an open issue for now, to remind us that
some harder stress-testing on affected platforms would be a good thing.

> - generate_series boundary issue - I think this isn't a new regression
> so it's probably not a blocker for beta1, but we might still want to
> try to fix it.

Again, there's no reason that can't stay on the open items list past
beta1. We may or may not choose to fix it for 9.1, but it's not a beta
blocker.