Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Amit Kapila" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source
Date: 2014-04-04 23:28:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> [ pg_ctl_eventsrc_v6.patch ]

I looked at this patch a bit. As a non-Windows person I have no intention
of being the committer, since I can't test the Windows-specific changes.
However, I do want to object to the business about having pg_ctl use
"postgres -C" to try to determine the event source name to use. The code
that you repurposed was okay for its original use, namely finding out
where a config directory would point the data directory to, but I don't
think it's up to snuff for identifying the value of event_source that a
running server is using. The actual value might have been set from a
command line option for instance. Moreover, the whole thing seems rather
circular since what pg_ctl wants the event source name for is to report
errors. What if it fails to get the event source name, or needs to
report an error before the (rather late) point at which it even tries
to get it?