Re: Patch to show individual statement latencies in pgbench output

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to show individual statement latencies in pgbench output
Date: 2010-08-04 11:58:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Aug3, 2010, at 21:16 , Greg Smith wrote:
>> That was a leftover of the trimming and comment skipping logic, which my patch moves to process_command.
>
> I think there's still a trimming error here--line 195 of the new patch is now removing the declaration of "i" just before it sets it to zero?
Hm, I think it's just the diff thats miss-leading there. It correctly marks the "int i" line as "removed" with a "-", but for some reason marks the "i = 0" line (and its successors) with a "!", although they're removed too, and not modified.

> On the coding standard side, I noticed all your for loops are missing a space between the for and the (; that should get fixed.
Fixed

> Finally, now that the rest of the patch is looking in good shape and is something I think is worth considering to commit, it's time to work on the documentation SGML.
I've added the "-r" option to the list of pgbench options in pgbench.sgml and also added a short section that shows how the output looks like, similar to how things are done for the "-l" option.

> Also: when generating multiple versions of a patch like this, standard practice is to add something like "-vX" to the naming, so those of us trying to review can keep them straight.
Will do from now on.

Updated patch is attached. I've also pushed this as branch "pgbench_statementlatency" to git://github.com/fgp/postgres.git

best regards,
Florian Pflug

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench_statementlatency_v3.patch application/octet-stream 13.9 KB