Re: Show lossy heap block info in EXPLAIN ANALYZE for bitmap heap scan

From: "Etsuro Fujita" <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "'Etsuro Fujita'" <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "'Robert Haas'" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Amit Khandekar'" <amit(dot)khandekar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "'pgsql-hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Show lossy heap block info in EXPLAIN ANALYZE for bitmap heap scan
Date: 2013-12-27 06:47:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:
> > > I'd be wary of showing a desired value unless it's highly likely to
> > > be accurate.

> > The desired value is accurately estimated based on (a) the total
> > number of exact/lossy pages stored in the TIDBitmap and (b) the
> > following equation in tbm_create(), except for the GIN case where
> > lossy pages are added to the TIDBitmap by tbm_add_page().

I've found there is another risk of overestimating the desired memory space
for a BitmapAnded TIDBitmap. I'm inclined to get rid of the estimation
functionality from the patch completely, and leave it for future work.
Attached is a new version of the patch, which shows only fetch block
information and memory usage information. I'll add this to the upcoming CF.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Attachment Content-Type Size
explain-bitmapscan-20131227.patch application/octet-stream 7.4 KB